RE: Text on banners

I thinking about this again (Maybe I was a bit fed up with the current
threads? Did not dare get sucked into  it - anyway, someone should propose
something ;)

Anyway With the current wording, text that does not have a primarily
grafical function in a graphic is out.

What about a review of the term text and textual content, or adjustment to
the word to make it "relevant textual content" in other words, content that
is relevant to the aim or a goal of the site, should not be in the form of a
graphic, unless that text is of a has a primarily graphical function - I.E.
not banners and ads

OK the wording sucks.

Oh all right, I'll try again

3.1 When an appropriate markup language exists AND WILL WORK, use markup
rather than images to convey information TO ALLOW TEXT SCALABILITY.
[Priority 2]   For example, use SVG for line art, MathML to mark up
mathematical equations, and CSS for text-oriented special effects. You may
not present relevant textual content
as an image, unless the text has a primarily graphical function, and the
effect cannot be achieved with markup,
(as in the case of some for logos and limited accent elements) provided that
you provide a textual equivalent to the content contained in the image.

That, with a glossary definition, should take care of annoying banners that
no user wants to see.

Still could do with a rewrite
See U,