Re: Minutes from 16 November 2000 WCAG WG telecon

At 12:41 PM -0800 11/18/00, William Loughborough wrote:
>I guess I meant to imply that the overwhelming majority of people
>who *write* for the Web are in a Wysiwyg frame of mind and the "s"
>in there has dominated most of their lives. Just as you describe how
>you make a page without starting from a notion of its structure but
>just let it evolve. We may (almost) all do that. We are taught to
>outline first but we just can't bring ourselves to do it.

It's important to keep in mind that this is a relatively legitimate
way for someone to do their job as a web designer, and no matter
what the small minority of people here say, we're not likely to
change this method.  From a strategy standpoint, it's important that
we not base our crusade on tearing down this method of design which
has widespread support throughout the entire industry -- but rather
to assume that it will continue for the foreseeable future, and
figure out how to work with and around it.

WAI can't kill WYSIWYG.  Even if it sucks, that -- and visual design
in general -- will remain with us for a very long time.  Instead we
need to tell people who are using that method how they can meet the
challenge of greater accessibility.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>