RE: Does WCAG 1.0 say alternate interfaces are a "last resort"?

Dear Kynn,
I think your question, and interpretation, is fair.
I always thought that the WCAG 1.0 said that alternative interfaces were a
last resort, and I thought it was good and appropriate that it did so!
Do keep in mind what was going on at the time of the WCAG 1.0.  Far too many
sites were posting "text only" versions in attempts to be accessible, and
there was the strong belief that this was the right approach (and perhaps
the only way) to do things.  We are, of course, still fighting that myth.
My impression is that things are a little better on that front.  Do others
agree with this observation?  Are we winning the battle in debunking the
need for "text only" pages?  Are "text only" approaches still a major
obstacle to equivalent access?  Does the WCAG 2.0 need to be as dogmatic
about this issues as was 1.0?
-- Bruce