Re: Text in buttons - a solution and proposal. (Everybody happy?)

At 10:14 PM 10/29/00 -0500, Robert Neff wrote:
>the alternative to SSL is to provide a 1 800 phone number for customer
>service so users can interact.  this is even being used by people who have
>the correct browser version but fear sending giving their information online.

IMO the main reason for people using the Web merely as a "1 800 directory"
isn't their security paranoia but the incredible unusability of so much
Website design. I've gotten to expect jumping through hoops, over hurdles,
and around obstacles when trying to order stuff on the Web to such an
extent that I more often than not will try to reach a live person instead.
I'm reasonably sophisticated at using this stuff but whenever I decide I'll
try to, e.g., bank online, I quickly give up and go to my local branch
bank's drive-thru window and ATM, or even a teller's cage and an occasional
sit-down-at-a-desk.

It has nothing to do with privacy/security and everything to do with the
almost insane adherence to outdated concepts of Website design in regards
to usability. We sometimes blame Web designers but often their hands are
tied by their clients as the quote from Natalie Lachance to Kynn
emphasizes: "he wants to know what your work looks like "visually". He DOES
NOT understand the code behind it or even the functionality." Tellingly the
indifference to "functionality" is right next to insane in these matters,
but it clearly prevails over much of the Web. As we say in poker when a
"fish" gets lucky; "the lambs ate the butcher". They hire people to make a
site that will improve their bottom line then indulge in irrational choice
based on their own blindlessness!

Oh, well! Ultimately it will be recognized that the path to usability
traverses the world of accessibility.

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE