Free As In Beer

At 11:04 AM 10/23/2000 , Cynthia Shelly wrote:
>This is entirely beside the point I was making when discussing Narrator.  I
>was discussing the definition of "free", not whether technology is available
>in a particular language.  If we are going to have the word "free" as part
>of the requirement for support, it is essential that we define the term.
>Narrator is simply an example.  If you prefer, we can use the magnification
>software that's available in Windows as an example instead.
>
>So, I repeat the question:  Can a component which is included in an
>operating system be considered "free" if the operating system is not?

In my opinion this is an issue that is easily going to get us
diverted off on the wrong track and I think that the "it must be
free" idea is wrong on a number of counts.

Thus I think the question is moot and SHOULD be moot, because otherwise
we are going to spend a lot of time on a non-issue.

I think we need to come up with a better solution to the "baseline"
problem than mandating certain solutions "must be free."

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/