RE: 19 October 2000 minutes

Kynn,

She didn't only say she preferred the real text.  Please note that she also
said she found the image of text

quote
very difficult to read
unquote

Now the wcag guidelines define priority 2 violations as those for which

quote
one or more groups will find it difficult to access information in the document
unquote

Therefore, it seems to me that if someone finds text
quote
very difficult to read
unquote

it's an obvious Priority 2 violation.

Len

p.s.
If you want to argue that she and other people with low vision shouldn't
have found it very difficult... see the (typically) extensive analysis that
Gregory just posted.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2000OctDec/0194.html

Also, more specifically, in the example I asked her to judge,
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/drs/facultyhandbookoverview-mandate.htm
if you merely magify the images, e.g. using Opera at 200% you find that the
text becomes blurred (due to the anti-aliasing used in the font), If you
magnify it further (e.g. Opera at 5000%) the pixelizing that William
referred to becomes apparent.

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/