RE: 19 October 2000 minutes

At 01:15 PM 10/20/2000 , Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>As for how much of a barrier it is.  The people best able to judge are people with low vision.  I asked one person, a friend of mine
>She said, quote
>I very much prefer the print on Version 2 [real text].
>unquote

Preferences are not barriers.

If I'm using Lynx, I -prefer- to have a menu bar which goes across
the top of the page, not one which goes down the side of the page.

If I'm struggling to use a screenreader, I -prefer- to have a menu
bar at the bottom of the page, not at the top.

Neither of those cases introduces barriers to access.  The information
is still accessible.

I'd call that a priority 3, not a priority 2, based solely on the
concept of what's "preferred."

(BTW, once again, I am not arguing that this wouldn't be a GREAT thing
to do -- these kinds of "preferences" are what make Edapta's method
_so much better_ than the single-source method.  However, if someone
is still stuck with 20th century web design, it's as unfair to say
"don't use textual graphics" as it is to say "don't use a menu bar
on the left side."  You are letting the _preference_ of a few dictate
design for _all_, and that won't fly, except maybe as priority 3.)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/