RE: Baseline capabilities

The problem that I see in making something pre-Win95 a requirement for
compliance is that there haven't been new development tools for Windows
3.1 since 1996, so even if a group had the resources and 16-bit Windows
development talent to work on such a project, they may not even have a way
to get the compilers to do it.

On the other hand, DOS is still a viable operating system, it's still in
relatively widespread use in less-developed parts of the world, it has a
wide array of free development tools such as the DJ Delorie C/C++ suite,
and there are two freely available implementations in FreeDOS and OpenDOS.
The problem then is that many graphical applications, or systems that
require post-Bronze Age hardware or accessories, couldn't be done at all,
or without huge concessions, in DOS, so making it a required platform
could prevent otherwise helpful packages from being considered accessible.
For that reason, and the fact that Linux 2.0.x will run on 386es and
higher, and run DOS software to boot, I think Linux support is sufficient.
(Though maybe wording along the lines of "oh, and DOS support is good,
too" may help.)

----
matt
who should really lay off the run-on sentences. ;)