Re: consensus?? RE: Textual Images vs. Styled Text, Round Three *ding*

At 08:27 AM 10/17/00 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:
>Or maybe this should be changed into a "until user agent" kind of stuff,
>except it would be a "if user agent".

A rose by any other name? A problem with "until user agent" and the
currently proposed Politically Correct rephrasing of that is that we are
missing an opportunity to make our position clear. We draw a
(not-clearly-defined) line in the past prior to which support is denied
(CP/M, Mosaic, HTML 1) while advocating for methods that don't work at the
time we publish Recommendations. HTML 4 and CSS may not be fully supported
and RDF; DOM; CC/PP; P3P seem almost vaporwarish but if we don't prepare
for them we are our own worst enemies. The "meanwhile" problem is what we
should address head on and Kynn/Wendy/Daniel are certainly trying to do this.

I believe it important for someone (I'm too overloaded) to engrave in stone
the principles governing both when we cease supporting "legacies" and when
we take "newtechs" seriously enough to include them as prioritized
guidelines/techniques.

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE