RE: consensus?? RE: Textual Images vs. Styled Text

I like Daniel's version best so far.

I would suggest adding <Q>(including most logos)</Q> after <Q>for vector
graphics</Q>.
Aside from logos (in headers. on sponsor buttons, or in banners) and
graphical text used in navigation elements, the other place textual images
are common (often illegitimately, IMHO) is in image maps.  If we are issuing
a clarification, we should include this practice as well.

I still think CSS makes the test for <Q>an appropriate markup language
exists and is adequately supported</Q>:
(1)  We are talking about sites that wish to be AA compliant and not merely
A.  Therefore they care -- and they should understand that CSS works much
better for folks with low vision -- and that this need outweighs the
concerns for the marginal behavior of deprecated browsers.  We should make
it clear to this audience what constitutes the preferred practice.
(2)  CSS was explicitly designed to handle the formatting need of "buttons".
At least one major market product does an adequate job with it.
(3)  We have good examples of CSS implementations for buttons and tabs which
are backward compatible.  These URLs have come up on this thread already,
but I can't help mentioning them again:
http://www.hwg.org/
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/wai/tabs/
(4)  Logos are "art" and therefore should be granted more "artistic license"
than objectives like "matching the look of a paper brochure".  Navigation
elements are much more important to the usability of site, and closer
related to content, than logos.  They should therefore be held to a higher
standard of accessibility.  Both of these are legitimate reasons why logos
and navigation buttons should be treated differently.

[snip]