  From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org]On
  Behalf Of Wendy A Chisholm
  Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 5:53 PM
  To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
  Subject: consensus (try 2): text in images

  Hello,

  Here is a second try.

  3.1 Use markup rather than images to convey information. [Priority 2]

  For example, use MathML to mark up mathematical equations.  Until an image
  markup language such as SVG is more widely supported, it is acceptable to
  use images to create logos.  Until a styling language such as CSS is more
  widely supported in a consistent manner, it is acceptable to use images to
  create stylized text in navigation buttons and image maps.

  Note that I have removed the opening phrase of the existing checkpoint,
  "when an appropriate markup language exists."  I did this because I want to
  strengthen the point because in the future I believe we will be able to use
  markup to convey most all information...at least if SVG, CSS, and all the
  other W3C dreams come true.

  I've also reworded the note to say that it is appropriate to use images
  until markup languages such SVG and CSS are more widely supported.

  This doesn't actually change the intent of my previous proposal too much,
  but hopefully it clarifies some things.

  Thoughts?  Perhaps it is best for us to save the rest of this discussion
  for the teleconference call on Thursday?  I'm afraid of starting another
  30+ message thread...<grin>

  Thanks,
  --wendy
  --
  wendy a chisholm
  world wide web consortium

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France