RE: consensus (try 2): text in images

I like it.  A thoughful, and easily understood
rewording.........................Katie

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Wendy A Chisholm
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 5:53 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: consensus (try 2): text in images

Hello,

Here is a second try.

3.1 Use markup rather than images to convey information. [Priority 2]

For example, use MathML to mark up mathematical equations.  Until an image
markup language such as SVG is more widely supported, it is acceptable to
use images to create logos.  Until a styling language such as CSS is more
widely supported in a consistent manner, it is acceptable to use images to
create stylized text in navigation buttons and image maps.

Note that I have removed the opening phrase of the existing checkpoint,
"when an appropriate markup language exists."  I did this because I want to
strengthen the point because in the future I believe we will be able to use
markup to convey most all information...at least if SVG, CSS, and all the
other W3C dreams come true.

I've also reworded the note to say that it is appropriate to use images
until markup languages such SVG and CSS are more widely supported.

This doesn't actually change the intent of my previous proposal too much,
but hopefully it clarifies some things.

Thoughts?  Perhaps it is best for us to save the rest of this discussion
for the teleconference call on Thursday?  I'm afraid of starting another
30+ message thread...<grin>

Thanks,
--wendy
--