Re: My Action Item: Multiple interface guideline

No, you still need to provide content that is overall accessible. But images
don't absolutely have to be directly accesssible becuase you can provide
alternatives - longdesc, alt, etc. This is just about generalising the
prnciple to have a better range of alternatives available (which has some
side benefits in terms of download times and being able to give nicer
presentation and so on).

This is one of the two approaches - the other is to go the SVG way of making
the information more directly accessible. I don't know which path is better
since it i s hard to know in advance which will lead to people actually doing
the required work. But both are feasible, they can co-exist, and we move
forwards...

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, William Loughborough wrote:

  At 06:45 AM 10/13/00 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
  >Uh, part of the whole point of doing server-side multiple interfaces is
  >that the different pages don't _have_ to be held to the same
  >standard of accessibility.

  If there are pages not "held to the same standard" and no pages "held to
  the standard" how is this not a copout loophole? I can fill my server with
  inaccessible material and avoid conformance of my efforts because I include
  a (claimed) equivalent? I thought the "whole point" of server-side
  multiples was to allow choice by the user not to get around a "requirement".

  If "separate but equal" seems merely "pithy" it's because you didn't see
  what previous versions of that notion produced in our society first-hand. I
  can absolutely assure you that this isn't just an inappropriately used
  slogan. "there is no need to require that every single interface be equally
  accessible to everyone -- only that the mechanism for selecting an
  appropriate interface be of the highest level of
  accessibility" is what's "_very_ dangerous" because the selection mechanism
  is of no use when there's nothing usable to select from.

  --
  Love.
                   ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France