Re: My Action Item: Multiple interface guideline

At 06:45 AM 10/13/00 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>Uh, part of the whole point of doing server-side multiple interfaces is
>that the different pages don't _have_ to be held to the same
>standard of accessibility.

If there are pages not "held to the same standard" and no pages "held to
the standard" how is this not a copout loophole? I can fill my server with
inaccessible material and avoid conformance of my efforts because I include
a (claimed) equivalent? I thought the "whole point" of server-side
multiples was to allow choice by the user not to get around a "requirement".

If "separate but equal" seems merely "pithy" it's because you didn't see
what previous versions of that notion produced in our society first-hand. I
can absolutely assure you that this isn't just an inappropriately used
slogan. "there is no need to require that every single interface be equally
accessible to everyone -- only that the mechanism for selecting an
appropriate interface be of the highest level of
accessibility" is what's "_very_ dangerous" because the selection mechanism
is of no use when there's nothing usable to select from.

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE