From: owner-uaccess-l@trace.wisc.edu
[mailto:owner-uaccess-l@trace.wisc.edu]On Behalf Of Jim Rebman
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 3:50 PM
To: uaccess-l@trace.wisc.edu; easi@maelstrom.stjohns.edu
Subject: Ligatures in .PDF files.

I am having a problem with all the documents that one of my professors
produces for a course.  He apparently does all the lecture notes, homework
sheets, lab handouts, and programming assignments on his Mac, and mostly in
power point, then converts them to .pdf and puts them on the class web
site.  I pick them up there and then send them to the pdf2txt translator at
Trace and I get my documents back mostly without problems.  However, all
the ligatures (ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl) are all replaced by a non-printable
ASCII character which makes reading the results a bit tedious.  Since this
doesn't happen with any other .pdf documents, I am assuming that therre is
some setting or font characteristic that is causing this to happen and it
is either particular to Mac, or Power Point, or both.

Has anybody else encountered this situation, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks,

Jim

---------------------------
James A. Rebman

Cognitive Levers Project
Center for Life-Long Learning and Design (L3D)
Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Colorado, Boulder

"In times of change, the learners will inherit the earth, while the learned
will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer
exists."
- Eric Hoffer

"...and the times they are a changin'..."
- Bob Dylan