Re: Why CSS On Older Browsers Is Broken

At 03:12 PM 10/2/2000 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>At 11:14 AM 2000-10-02 -0400, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
> >As I understand it, there is no problems with CSS as a standard, but some
> >implementations are broken. Going over a technological incontinuity point
> >is always difficult, CSS is not an exception.  But sometimes it is
> >necessary to jump over to save work and serve customers in the long run. So
> >all good ideas and examples of how to support CSS and at the same time best
> >address as many of the current problems as possible are welcome.
> >

>What I am hearing from the designers is that it seems there _are_ problems
>with CSS as a technological innovation.

I have seen mainly complaints that it does not work, which is an
implementation problem. What are the technological problems? If
implementations worked perfectly in all browsers, would there be a problem?

>Yes, all change is painful.  That in itself doesn't mean one doesn't
>change.  But it means one is selective about the changes one makes.  Each
>change must sell itself.  Maybe CSS doesn't deliver enough gain to merit
>the pain.

Or there is still selling to do, especially to the CSS implementors?

Is there a better alternative that meets all the different goals we have? I
have not seen it yet.

>This is what I seem to be hearing from the designers who take the trouble
>to try to tell us.  They are the W3C's customers (for Web format
>technology); we only hurt ourselves if we don't listen to them.

I totally agree. Furthermore, they are very innovative people, who can help
us to either do the technology jump or come up with a better solution that
meets all the different needs for accessibility, device independence, user
control, graphical design etc.

Marja