Re: "hidden" explanations

At 08:09 AM 9/12/2000 , William Loughborough wrote:
>One of the major shortcomings of our work is that we are (mostly?) all still hung up on printed stuff.
>THIS IS THE WEB - HTML AND ALL THAT!

Yes and no.

>Our document need not be like something to be printed out in order to read it in the comfort of one's favorite chair.

However, our document needs to take audience into account, and,
at the very least, offer a print-worthy version.  People _will_
print out W3C specifications if they are working with them.
_I_ print out W3C specifications, and I'm about as "wired" as
you can get.  (I have a copy of WCAG 1.0 on my Windows CE machine,
even.)

>There is a feature on many pages in which one lands on a particular item and a box of explanatory (contextual help) text shows up. If you read:
>[...]
>and then push some key and have superimposed on it enclosed in a box:
>[...]

I don't know.  There's no good cross-platform way to do this easily,
especially for people with disabilities, and it may give the wrong
impression.

>you have: 1) saved "real estate" on the screen making for a less daunting reading/viewing/listening experience; 2) saved cognitive loading; 3) avoided a "duh" for those who know what was meant in the first place. It would help both those who see the first rendering and would say "I knew that" when forced to wade through the explanation part and those who "click it up" and say "Oh! now I understand what that means."

This might be an interesting way to present such information.  I'd
have to see an example of someone else doing this first, and it
working -- and I think that our "real specification" shouldn't have
to rely on these tricks at all, and should stand alone.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/