Re: Guide to Guidelines

Myself, I liked very much William's site that included graphics. The result
is a much more inviting presentation. The criticism of the animated
graphics as a "bad idea" is misplaced. The first time I viewed the page, I
didn't even notice there was animation until I had gone through the whole
page and returned to the top to look it over a second time noting the
details including the animation. Not all people, and not even all "visual"
people, are "distracted" by animation. Motion is a part of life. Compared
to the original, all text, no color, no graphics presentation, this version
is very inviting and gives the impression that accessibility is do-able
without throwing away the baby with the bath water.

					Anne

At 09:01 PM 9/11/2000 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>LL:: [referencing http://rdf.pair.com/guide.htm ] ...the animated graphics
>are a bad idea from a pure human factors perspective - they
>are irritating and draw attention away from the information on the page
>(it's hard for people to keep their attention from being drawn to something
>moving).
>
>WL: About my only "excuse" (rationalization?) for using the animated icons
>is to illustrate by example that their inclusion: a) doesn't break the
>guidelines; b) that the guidelines don't preclude use of absurd gimmicks.

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling
apembert@crosslink.net