Forms [as of now] still a half-solved problem

[This message has been posted to the PF list earlier, but it is really in GL
territory.  This is a documented example of a page that sits astride the
make-or-break boundary on forms; it pretty much split the intended audience
down the middle as to who could and could not cope with it.  I am attaching a
rapid analysis of what is wrong slash could be better about it.  -Al]

Kelly Ford recently had a bad experience where a service he put up was
rejected
as not usable enough by a large fraction of his customers.  Now, his customers
for this particular football pool are predominantly screen-reader users.  That
makes it an interesting field assessment of forms usability.

His description of what happened is quoted below.

Reviewing the signup form
<<http://www.sandbox.com/nflpropix/pub-bin/registration?ss_nflpp_left+12>ht
tp://www.sandbox.com/nflpropix/pub-bin/registration?ss_nflpp_left+12>
that the users decided they couldn't bother with, several broad handwaves come
to mind:

The eyes-free user pretty much focuses on one field at a time.  Recollections
as to what the other fields were earlier in the sequence may linger, but the
visual form designer is likely to be relying on context to explain the fields
in a way which does not carry over into the eyes-free interaction domain.  So,
the eyes-free user needs each entry blank or form control to be at the center
of a multi-level explanation.  The default presentation can use a terse label
such as is used in the GUI interaction, but there needs to be a standard way
that the user can get a expansion of this into the full, pedantic explanation
of a) what is being asked?  What is the question?  b) any restrictions or
suggestions for what may be entered in this field and c) why the service
guarded by this form needs this information.  A simple example implementation
in HTML 2 would be by a hyperlink from the tax form to the related
paragraph in
the tax form instructions.

Two themes or dominant facts emerge:  (1) The eyes-free user requires
access to
a more verbose presentation of the form field than the GUI designer will
tolerate as the usual GUI layout. (2) Even the eyes-free user doesn't always
need this, as Scott Luebking found out with his experiements with tables.  The
approach that seems to hold the most promise is that there is user control of
level of detail filtering, but that enough detail and logical connectivity is
there so that the "instructions" level of detail is available whenever the
user
wishes it.

In structural navigation we are trying to make sure that a highly filtered
view
of the contents is available.  Here we have to be concerned that a
sufficiently
expanded, not filtered, view of the question is available.  This appears to
require some adjustability in the view, and user control of this
adjustability.

Al

<<http://www.sandbox.com/>http://www.sandbox.com> to host my