Re: Back to Principle 1

I like where Marti is going with this.

Saying that you have to provide alternatives to content which is targeted
by default to visual or auditory presentation presumes that this content is
exchanged in a format which is only usable in that sensory mode.  This is
common today with data formats such as AU and GIF.  But it is not the root
logic of the principle.  A MIDI file is symbolic.  You can get a score from
a MIDI file by a stylesheet.  You can get sound from a MIDI file by a MIDI
player.  So text is not the only kind of content that is symbolic and
presentable in different ways to different senses.  A visual presentation
can arise from a video format that deals at the pixel level or it can be
generated in the client from a structured model of the world being viewed
as with VRML or animated SVG.  The formats vary in the degree in which they
are usable with different sensory modes.

As Marti says, the root principle is to provide the user with options.
Whether the options are realized as optional data or as optional processing
is a choice that should be left to the information supplier.

When you put a word in a GIF you disable the "optional processing" path to
sound that text to speech engines provide.   As a result you have to
backfill with the "optional data" of an ALT attribute.  This is how this
principle gives rise to the more concrete requirements in the current WCAG
guidelines.

Al