RE: Some concrete suggestions Re: Cognitive issues (was Re: woodcutter)

At 12:02 PM 2000-04-08 -0400, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
>At 02:40 AM 4/7/00 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>>Another thing that seems pretty concrete (and was first proposed by Jonathan
>>months ago):
>>
>>Designate an image as a link for a website. For many companies this is easy-
>>they already use a logo graphic throughout their site as a link to the front
>>of it.
>>
>Do you mean that companies can provide the image as metadata for their
>site? Then the search engines or browsers showing links as text to the
>sites could alternative provide the image? And that could be controlled by
>the user settings?
>
>Companies who provide the image would have the benefit of being more easily
>spotted from a long list of links. So they probably would like to do that.

Related keywords: Picons, WhoIs++, LDAP.

Logic: (information model)

TradeMarks, ServiceMarks, and corporate Logos are directly related to a)
the principal topic of a sub-site and/or b) the corporate author/sponsor of
a whole site by which I mean the namepace
<http://www.yourdomainmnemonic.suffix/*>.  So a little processing is
suggested.  If the page does not bind directly to an icon as the button for
linking to this page, the metadata for ancestors in the URL path to the
page is searched and the least ancestor defining a button icon is used as
the [nomination for] button definition.

Client-side application is as one saves references to sites one wants to
visit again.

See the search results at infind.com for a related technique.

Al