Re: A symbolic WAI homepage

At 03:13 PM 2000-04-08 -0400, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
>At 06:18 PM 4/8/00 +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
>>william wrote:
>>WL: We're eagerly looking forward to see your development of this
>>graphical representation.
>>
>>I have tried to indicate to everyone on this list that it is a group effort
>>that is required.
>>I have already produced http://www.peepo.com/access
>
>I hope you mean you would want to have feedback from the site? Here are my
>main comments from a general usability perspective:
>
>Quite a lot of this page is actually text - In my point of view the
>simplification comes from having only a little text in one page, no
>paragraphs, just main thoughts in one sentence  or a word. Is that what you
>are aiming to? Is it better to have many pages with little information or
>couple of pages with more information?
>
>The hello icon does not give me much information and I need the text to
>understand it. But I can learn it if it is used consistently in many
>places. I might also want to use my own memory aid icons from my personal
>library but this is currently not straightforward to do, maybe adding icon
>annotations to a page could help with CD?

AG::

The ideal would be to attach images selected by the user to match-patterns
in the structure graph of the site.  So the icon would recur when the
navigation structure pattern is detected on another site.

MRK::

>What I would add to the site, is to have a graphical navigation bar to
>illustrate the site structure instead of textually saying to continue to
>the next page and other textual links. That navigation bar should give
>feedback about where the users are (what they selected) and where they can
>go (other items in the navigation bar).

AG::

Links covering a neighborhood of where you are now is a navigation resource.

Indented table of contents bar is best current presentation of this on Web
today.

VRML of where you are in a Jungle Gym abstraction of the site is perhaps a
yet more compelling metaphor.

Al