Re: Comments on guidelines

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> I originally sent these comments to the wrong list.
>
> Is there a way we could add a general section to the Web Content guidleines
> on indicating the purpose of certain elements.  For example the following
> types of elements could indicate their purpose:
>
> Anchors: navigation link
> Table: layout or table
> Event: decorative, used for visual affects
>        verify, checks the user input, but no visual affects
>        functional, is used to change content of the document

Jon,

There are two mappings at issue here:

1) For an HTML element, what topics are related to it?
   This is addressed by the HTML index in the Techniques Document.
   For example, for the A element, the related HTML topics are
   "Keyboard Access" and "Links"

2) For a topic, what HTML elements/attributes are involved?
   I think that the table of contents combined with the
   HTML index covers this need as well (although not
   as efficiently).

For more information about elements or topics, I think that
users should consult the HTML specification, which describes
and defines them much better than the Techniques document could.

Another option is to provide a real index, which the Editors
are considering. However, that would not be done until the document
goes to Proposed Recommendation.

Please let me know if I've addressed your point adequately,

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814