RE: Add a checkpoint for "checking your work"

Hi Phill,

There actually was a checkpoint for testing.... But it was removed after
much discussion.

It was determined that testing (or any particular step in the process) was
not required for a page to be accessible.  That is, testing a page did not
make it any more accessible than not testing it.   Following the guidelines
does.  Checking the page using a validator, having users check it, using an
authoring tool with accessibility supported etc, are all process items that
facilitate making a page more accessible, but are not required, and do not
in and of themselves make a page more accessible.  If you follow all the
guidelines, testing against a validator will not increase access. Thus they
did not qualify as an item that determined or defined an issue necessary for
content access.

Hope that is clear.  I'm not sure it is worded well.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Human Factors
Dept of Ind. Engr. - U of Wis.