Re: Can we really deprecate tables?

Daniel Dardailler wrote:

> Our home page, http:/www.w3.org, uses a table for layout.
>
> >From time to time, we're having an internal debate of whether or not
> we should change that, but so far, it's still there.

I am grateful for your candid comments, and would like you to know that
your message is a heartbreaker. Speaking as an individual who is trying
to reconcile display in existing browsers with HTML and CSS as
presented in W3C Recommendations, I would like to try, and see other
people try to show you how the W3C home page might be transformed.

May I have your permission to re-write the tags and send a test URI to
this list in a day or two? This experiment might fall flat on its face.
On the other hand, a quick look at the HTML in the W3C home page found
unused CSS in HEAD, I and B where EM and STRONG make sense, and no need
for a TABLE or CSS, thus it seems to be a candidate for HTML 4.0 Strict.

> This sounds like a lot to me, but somehow, we've never received much
> of a complaint about our home page being inaccessible. How can we
> explain that ?

This is a good question. I have read more than once about the W3C site
in Usenet complaints. One thought is it needs a lot of improvement and
accessibility is a fairly new criteria, one of many. (Speaking for my
site, mea culpa.)

--
Susan Lesch
Mac Virus