RE: Can we really deprecate tables?

Hello,

I agree with Daniel, As a developer for the RNIB I have been using a two
column, one row table since '95. We have had only one complaint that I can
think of, and that was to do with the browser NetTamer missing the right
hand column completely.

I'm not sure if NetTamer has been "upgraded" since then to correct this.

Personally I would like to see an intermediary step to using CSS that states
that tables like above this are acceptable, until a (large) majority of
disabled users are using browsers that cope with the CSS specification
fully.

The Guidelines could include a new heading structure that address's current
accessible solutions and accessible solutions for the future. The solutions
for the future would then be the suggested improvements for the browser
developers (the other guidelines). This will allow authors to know what to
expect and to prepare for any potential changes.

Personally I think this would make the guidelines move approachable and
usable as any developer/author can get an idea on the current state of play
in accessibility for the WWW.

James Dobson
WWW Developer