Re: Easy Checks - what's not included

I have worked on the linearize the page section, and believe it should
be included in easy checks.

Here it is. Please read and comment.  For conversion to alternative
media, not single property is more important than the ability to
linearize rationally.  As stated the process is "easy" and the
interpretation is easy as well. Removing images does two things. 1) it
reveals text alternatives and 2) it removes the clutter of weird image
layouts when they are linearized.  This latter feature makes the text
usable by a beginner.

Here is the proposed section. Wayne

Linearize the Page for Experiential Learning (Optional)

When a page is converted form text to speech, to Braille, or to very
large print, the author's two dimensional presentation format breaks
down. Before a page can be converted to an appropriate medium it must
be reduced to a one dimensional information stream. This process is
called linearizing the page.

Not everyone has access to a screen reader, or powerful text
customization tools required to experience linearized content as it is
used, but a linearized presentation of content is easy to simulate
using the tools we have introduced so far. This can give the fully
sighted reader an understanding of the day to day experience of users
with blindness or low vision.

Linearization does not focus on any one success criterion, instead it
reveals how well a page is organized to support accessibility.
Example: Read the linearized view of the inaccessible version in the
BAD Demo. That will be fun, and it reveals a lot of what can go wrong.

The checks below provide instructions with different browsers for how to:

 1.   Unclutter the linear view and expose text alternatives by removing images
 2.   Reveal the reading order by turning off the associated style sheets,
 3.   Expose navigation support for a one dimensional content format, and
 4.   Reveal the resulting page display for an approximation of a
screen reader / customized text experience.

To linearize with IE WAT

1.    Open the page you are checking in the IE browser
2.    Using the toolbar, choose Images > Remove Images
3.    Next choose CSS > Disable CSS

Shortcuts in WAT toolbar are: With keyboard press ctrl+alt+shift+s to
display the options dialog box and uncheck the boxes "Images" and
"CSS", then select "ok".. {Sylvie, June 6}
To linearize with FF web developer toolbar

1.    Open the page you are checking in the FF browser
2.    Using the toolbar, choose Images > Disable Images
3.    Next choose CSS > Disable Styles > Disable All Styles

In the French Web Developer version the keyboard shortcut to hide CSS
is alt+shift+a, but I am not sure if it is the same in the American
English one. For disabling images, I only have the French version's
shortcuts here. {Sylvie, June 6}. This doesn't work in the English
version {Wayne, June 11}
What to check for:

Read through the resulting display and notice the following:

 1.   Make sure that there is text in place of any meaningful images
and that the text provides the same information as the original.
(review alt text section above)
2.    Verify that the reading order is logical, complete, and makes sense.
3    Make sure that navigation is feasible in a linear format.