Deep concern - WCAG 2.0 liquid layout - Re: EOWG: Agenda for 20 July 2007 Teleconference

From: Liam McGee <liam@communis.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:26:14 +0100
To: EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

Just browsing through WCAG2.0 and came across this:

1.4.7 Resize and Wrap: Visually rendered text can be resized without
assistive technology up to 200 percent and down to 50 percent without
loss of content or functionality ***and in a way that does not require
the user to scroll horizontally***. (Level AAA)

(My asterisks added for emphasis).

Hmmm. Some serious problems with this.

1) Given that there is no support for soft hyphens aas far as I am
aware, this is problematic as a long word in a columnar layout could
easily fail this. This may be even worse in languages where long words
are a common occurrence. In a layout context, it is saying "a word may
not be more than half the width of a column"

2) The need for horizontal scrolling depends on the pixel-width of the
viewport. This is not under the designer's control.

3) This checkpoint champions liquid design over elastic design as more
accessible. Firstly I disagree (liquid designs break), secondly I think
this is something a lot of experienced developers would disagree with.

Can we discuss this as an Any Other Business?