Corporate implementation plan, reposting Natasha's draft

Natasha,

Thank you for posting a draft of a corporate implementation plan for Web
accessibility, for discussion at our call today.

Because not all members of the list can read MS Word documents, I have
re-posted the contents of your attachment as an appendix to this e-mail
message below, so that it is available in text format. (We generally work
on drafts either in HTML or text formats.)

A few immediate comments:

- This provides helpful additional detail to complement the current draft
corporate implementation plan that we have been working on
	http://fit.gmd.de/~velasco/wai-eo/ipcorporate.xml
and appears to cover a broader range of centralized/decentralized businesses

- We should avoid the word "guidelines" here, I believe, given the risk of
confusion with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines themselves, and the
other accessibility guidelines

- Since Section 508 is a US-specific statute, which only applies to certain
kinds of organizations (federal agencies and state agencies), and the W3C
is international in focus, instead of direct references to Sec 508 I
suggest we use something like "and any applicable local requirements"

Again, thanks for giving us this draft for discussion.

Regards,

- Judy

At 07:24 PM 9/4/01 -0700, LIPKINA,NATASHA (HP-PaloAlto,ex1) wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>This is my first attempt to present brief guidelines for any big or small,
>centralized or flat organization to deploy accessibility standards
>companywide.
>
>In the future I can elaborate on it but it seems to me that it would be
>beneficial to have a list of things a company needs to do to accomplish the
>task.
>
>Looking forward to talking to you tomorrow and having your feedback.
>
>Best regards,
>

>Natasha Lipkina
>hp.com Platform Services
>SNF2/Accessibility/Compliance/IRIS
>Tel: 650-236-5409
>Telnet: 236-5409
>www.hp.com

[Contents of Natasha's attachment follow]

										DRAFT

Web Accessibility Project Implementation Plan Guidelines

1. Executive-level management acknowledges the need for compliance with the
508 section and w3c guidelines.
2. Company creates new policies that address web accessibility
3. Company's president and CEO send out a message to employees supporting
the policies and emphasize companies commitment to provide access to all
people including people with disabilities
4. CEO assigns an accessibility officer or a person responsible for
implementation of the project
5. An accessibility officer creates a team that has the following
responsibilities:

· Identify the scope of the project (will intranet, secure applications,
etc. will be included or not, will the company rollout 508 section
requirements company-wide including international sections, will the
company rollout this project in several phases?)
· Develop a company-wide rollout plan with the milestones and allocated
budget, necessary resources, and communicate it to the stake-holders
· Conduct PR activities outside and inside the company
· Develop and clarify web-accessibility policies
· Develop training materials and organize training
· Research, select, acquire and distribute the software that allows
evaluation and retrofitting of the site (link to the list of existing
software)
· Test the software before distribution, work with the vendor on
customization of the tool to accommodate company's specific design
requirements
· Retrofit company templates and stylesheets, test them on different
browsers and platform, conduct usability test with participation of
disabled people
· Clarify all policies related to the technical issues like pdf, flash,
java etc.
· Specify all testing requirements (browsers, usability tests etc.)
· An extended team includes representatives from each
· group/business/region/country, legal department representatives,
marketing department reps

Major milestones

- Evaluate current status of the web site
- Conduct executive-level briefings for business managers, get sponsorship
and buy-in
- Prioritize web sections to implement the project in several phases
- Develop plan with the milestones and resources and communicate to the
stakeholders
- Evaluated web accessibility tools and selected one;
- Retrofit templates
- Identify early adopters for testing the tool and templates
- Distribute a retrofitting tool
- Provide training for managers and web developers and post it on the
website (live and slides)
- Launch internal accessibility web site
- Set up help desk
- Establish forum of web-developers to discuss technical issues
-  Provided project management and tracking guidelines and tools
- Create status reports for the management (escalate when needed)
- Develop on-line self-assessment checklist to be submitted upon
retrofitting the site
- Develop a Database (application) that would allow to track compliance
- Summarize lessons learned from Phase 1 and make adjustments to the next
phases' plan
- Conduct compliance audit on a random basis
- Ensure that procurement department is aware of accessibility requirements
and that they are included into the legally binding contracts for
purchasing any software or applications
-

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)