Re: Comments on SMIL note

At 04:16 PM 7/29/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Geoff Freed wrote:
>>Also in 2.2.3:
>>"The second stream will be rendered if the user has configured the player
to >prefer subtitles and Spanish."

(and the first stream was not selected i.e. user did not select to see
captions)

>>Add the word "audio" after "Spanish".
>
>I don't think this is correct. Here is the example:

I agree. I would like to have more language attributes i.e. to be able to
have different media elements in different languages but now there is only
one attribute available.

><par>
>      <!-- audio section same as before -->
>      <video src="video.rm"/>
>      <textstream src="stockticker.rtx"/>
>       <switch> <!-- captions or subtitles -->
>           <textstream src="closed-caps.rtx"
>                 system-captions="on"/>
>           <textstream src="subtitles-es.rtx"
>                 system-overdub-or-caption="caption"
>                 system-language="es"/>
>       </switch>
></par>
>
>1) The "system-language" test attribute is not bound
>   to spoken language only.
>
>2) In the example, the attribute is used in the
>   case where captions are preferred to overdubs.
>   I don't understand why we would say that
>   the second stream would be rendered when the user
>   has configured the player with a preference for
>   Spanish audio.

and these captions are actually subtitles

Marja