Re: WAI card

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 06:45:05 -0800
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
In 2. by using "attributes" instead of "attribute" we imply that both
MAP and alt are attributes (I now note this is just in the .gif
version).

DD: "Well, there are some very strong proponent of LANG as a P1 in the
GL group, so I would remove it lightly."

WL:: This is not a GL document and its purpose is to provide "bullets"
to catch attention and involve people, not to educate them about *all*
aspects of guidelines.  We cannot possibly put every P1 on this thing.

DD: "Somehow I'm afraid some people will look for a ALT or LANG element,
not find it, and drop the case."

WL:: I would bet that most of those targeted by this card either know
that alt and lang are either elements or attributes, which is which, or
dont' know or care.  If they have "font semantics" the point is still
made and space is saved.

The worst space offender is clearly 7.  It's the only "three-liner".
Let's try some more on this because it's sort of clumsy.

7.Scripts, Applets, & Plug-ins Provide alternative representations in
case active content is inaccessible or unsupported.

Perhaps "use" instead of "provide"?  "when" for "in case" and even
eliminate "active" and "or unsupported" since the latter strongly
implies inaccessibility?
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE