Re: WAI card

So, shouldn't we put in words like

Also for now also use duplicate text links.
(I'm not happy with how I expressed that but it's the best I can think of
now).

Len

At 04:03 PM 1/29/99 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>That's why I didn't talk about ALT text as such.
>
>I have changed mine - it allows for the mechanism that I think OUGHT to be
>used in the future, which is A type links in a MAP with areas specified.
>
>Charles
>

>On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>
>  I think, as a practical matter, for maximum accessibility right now, if
>  we're going to ask people to avoid tables for layout, then we really should
>  ask them to have redundant text links for image maps, in addition to the
>  ALT text on AREA tags.
>
>  This is because I think there are more browser/screenreader combos that can
>  handle the tables, than there are that see the ALT text in AREA tags. (My
>  earlier email pointed out summarized problems with NN and MSIE and ALT
>  text; I believe, that they read tables cell by cell with most or all
>  current screenreaders however).
>
>  On the other hand, if this card is aimed more at the future, when all user
>  agents do what they are supposed to, then it's fine as is.
>
>  Personally, I'm more worried about right now, even though it's messier.
>  Which would mean omitting injunction against tables for layout, and adding
>  words about redundant text links.
>
>  At any rate, that's what I'm doing with folks I advise now.
>
>  Len
>
>  At 12:49 PM 1/29/99 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>  >I have been playing around with a version
>  >
>  >http://www.w3.org/People/Charles/thoughts/waicard
>  >
>  >It includes some thoughts and explanations.

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)