Re: Accessible HTML in Browsers??

At 10:38 AM 1/22/99 -0500, Judy Brewer wrote:
>Yes, that's exactly what the User Agent Guidelines Working Group is for.
>Jon Gunderson is Chair, and I am cc'ing this message to him
><jongund@uiuc.edu>.

Thanks...that's what I figured.

>If you can put whoever at Netscape is actually working on accessibility
>implementations in touch with Jon, or even directly with the working group
>where it's been discussed, that would be appreciated all around. UAWG is at
><http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA>.

There's the rub. It's not Netscape....it's the Mozilla Project. They don't
have anyone assigned specifically to "accessibility implementations." They
have several people assigned to HTML, Layout, Forms, and tables. I
submitted a bug about the TABINDEX attribute for the A element and am about
to do the same for the form elements. We need more than one person
monitoring Mozilla to make sure they're on top of such issues. The reason
why it is public is so we, as the users who will make use of Netscape 5.0,
can make sure it has the features we want.

The way to make sure the accessibility features get implemented/checked is
to do the following:

1) Download one of the latest builds of NGLayout at:
<http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/binaries.html>
They have them for win32

2) Unzip it and run "viewer.exe"

3) Direct the "browser" to a Web page with the feature you want to test. If
it doesn't do what t is supposed to, submit it as a bug in the below sequence.

Submitting a bug in NGLayout

1) Go to the Mozilla Project's NGLayout bug query page at
<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi>

2) Using the Ctrl key on your keyboard, select all options under "status."
They list many unimplemented HTML as done....because they don't know what
they should be doing with it. The LONGDESC attribute is an example.

3) Scroll down the page to an INPUT box that says "description." Enter in
an HTML tag or attribute you want to check for. If you insert "longdesc" or
"tabindex" in the description box, you'll see some of the current bugs.

4) Click on "Submit Query."

--
B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.
Director                         Suite 140CSC-305

http://www.world-webmasters.org
bkdelong@naw.org