Re: Wombat Subtext 5.1, 5.2

Revised Subtext idea for 5.1:

This checkpoint requires that accessibility-related functionality be
integrated as seamlessly as possible. At minimum, the accessibility
features should not contrast with the normal operation of the tool. This
means that they should be operable with approximately the same number of
mouse clicks or keystrokes, the same amount of instruction , and the
same degree of flexibility as other features. For example, if an
element's properties are displayed in a floating toolbar,
accessibility-related prompts should be added to this toolbar, not
implemented as intrusive pop-up boxes. More advanced implementations
might see accessibility features such as checking, integrated to the
same level as analogous features unrelated to accessibility. For
example, if underlining or color changes are used to notify the author,
while they work, of syntax and spelling errors, accessibility problems
should be similarly flagged.

Revised Subtext idea for 5.2:

This checkpoint requires authoring tools to have user interfaces that
increase the probability that authors will use accessible authoring
practices, even when less accessible alternatives are provided by the
tool for reasons of completeness. At minimum, when there is an
accessible and a less accessible means for performing an action, the
user interface of the tool should be organized so that the accessible
means is at least as visible in the user interface and at least as easy
to activate in terms of mouse clicks and keystrokes than the less
accessible means. More advanced solutions might purposefully impede the
visibility and use of the less accessible means.

--
Cheers,
Jan

Jan Richards
Adaptive Technology Resource Centre (ATRC)
University of Toronto

jan.richards@utoronto.ca
Tel: (416) 946-7060  Fax: (416) 971-2896