Re: Alerts and Prompts - attempt at a definition

Charles,

At 13:37 2000-04-25 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Marjolein,
>
>this seems pretty clear (at least to me). The difference between your
>understanding of prompt, and my understanding of the way it is defined and
>used in the guidelines, is that where a checkpoint requires prompting, it is
>required that there is a response, and that a prompt doesn't necessarily get
>any data from the user.
>
>Note that the relevant checkpoint (3.1) says to prompt the author to provide
>alternative content, not when, how often, or whether it has to be done all
>the time for each piece of content that may have an alternative specified, or
>can be done once in a prompt that covers everything (but requires some
>response) and is more like what you are describing as an alert with a
>required response.

Not quite - since an alert (in my definition) gives information *to* the user but doesn't get information *from* the user.

The way I understand the checkpoint (or its purpose), it would be more like a dialog, containing a prompt; where the dialog requires a response (OK or Cancel) but the prompt on that dialog doesn't necessarily require information (data to be filled in).

>Charles
>
>On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Marjolein Katsma wrote:
>
>   It seems I understand the terms "Alert" and "Prompt" very differently
>   from the rest of the group. I also found this actually very hard to
>   explain on the phone. I'm not sure where this difference comes from (my
>   background as a software developer?), but of course I also missed the
>   start of the definition process in this group.
>
>   So I'll attempt to write down my definition of these terms here:
>[snip]

Marjolein Katsma
HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/
Bookstore for Webmasters - http://hshelp.com/bookstore/bookstore.html