Re: please review and comment

From: <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:39:59 -0600
To: w3c-wai-au@w3.org

Eric,

I understand that "nominal" is an obscure term, but we went from "no prior"
to "nominal" to your  "a basic knowledge".  Perhaps this phrase would
capture the intent of "nominal"

... and that he or she has little knowledge of accessibility

I think we really are assuming that the author has "almost none", or "very
little if any" knowledge on accessibility. I don't even think we are
assuming that the author is motivated to do accessibility, but that it will
happen because of the checkpoints and because of the priorities.  If we
were to use the term "a basic knowledge of accessibility", I could argue
that some of the priorities could be lowered - which very few of the
working group wanted to re-open.  I also feel that the term "no prior" is a
little too absolute, because most authors are aware that people have
disabilities, assistive technologies such as wheel chairs exist, and that
laws exist such as the ADA in the US.  Also, if we go with "no prior
knowledge", some may argue that some priorities may need to be increased.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,