Re: My response to Microsoft

At 02:14 PM 1/26/99 -0500, Jan Richards wrote:
>I'm not sure about presenting three different options to users who may
>lack previous exposure to accessibility issues. i.e. In this case option
>1 looks to be the easiest. As far as the guidelines go, this idea is
>very low level. I think the guidelines should stick to higher level
>directives and let the tool-makers deal with how to implement them.

I'm inclined to agree but one of the problems I am dealing with regarding
MS FrontPage's implementation of ALT attributes and the Mozilla group's
implementation of various HTML elements and attributes in the new layout
engine for NN 5.0 is that without some sort of SUGGESTION or guidance
regarding the optimal way to implement this will lead the project team to
pick some random means to display an element. This can lead to serious
problems when the product is released all because that contact between
recommendation editor and product manager has not been made.

I also suggested a "warning" box pop up if a user uses a "blank" ALT attribute:

> Perhaps when the user chooses a null option ALT attribute, a prompt will
say "Are you
>sure? People who use text-browsers, have images turned off, or visually
>impared users using screen readers will not be able to see this image."

What are your thoughts on that?
--
B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.
Director                         Suite 140CSC-305

http://www.world-webmasters.org
bkdelong@naw.org