Re: Guideline compliance resource proposal

I would be happy to change the intro to the section. Aprompt is not the
answer for everyone, it is a tool for some people (so long as it is only
available in windows it is of limited use, and even as a java bean it
won't fit into everyone's plans. It is however a very good tool for
solving some problems, especially repair stuff.

Another possibility is to give responsibility for listing it to the ER
group who are responsible for tools, and point to them in the techniques.

Certainly it seems useful for a number of techniques - if it is in a
'sample implementations' section (which I see as an appendix of widely
applicable techniques - I think that is what William was saying too) we
can then put a very short reference to it in specific techniques.

One of the problems with pushing it too far is that it doesn't necessarily
solve all the problems - there is still a bunch of work to be done to
integrate it naturally into most authoring tools. (On the other hand, it
counts as one itself...)

That's my 2 cents worth - other folks have thoughts?

cheers

Charles

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Jan Richards wrote:

  Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > We have the 'sample implementations' section, which I think matches what
  > you are proposing. I think that we should continue to emphasise that the

  I think there is a difference. The current sample implementation section
  is like an examples section for the techniques. It contains ideas only.
  Although the a-prompt tool is a sample implementaion of sorts, it is a
  working system that may be built into a tool at different levels
  (explicit or underlying). If the pointer to the a-prompt goes into
  Sample Implementations we will have to change the intro to the section.

  http://aprompt.snow.utoronto.ca/

  --
  Jan Richards
  jan.richards@utoronto.ca