Re: Restarting W3C Volunteer Translation Tracking

Am 10.10.2018 um 23:12 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:
> Parallel to this discussion, I think there is the question of what to do
> with the already existing translation assets, especially those that have
> not been created in tools that allow for them reuse (for ex. export to
> reference bilingual files, etc.) That leaves the option of which
> tool/process to use to the individual translation but still offers them
> the appropriate reference translations to proceed with their work
> efficiently.

My personal tool was and is a text editor, it's great for translating in
the HTML code that later wants to be valid HTML with all attributes and
values again.

Especially the language in specifications that are made by international
editors tend to be everything else than something you can translate with
automatic tools.

My experience in working in a team was great with a little glossar in a
shared text file. One translator took the first half of the
specification, the other one the rest of HTML 4.01.

>From my point of view, translation tools are highly overrated if you
want to translate a technical specification.
Some paragraphs that are made out of one sentence, that you can divide
easily into seven sentences in my language are not translatable by tools.

So I tend to say, do not put too much effort into tools, get the general
process into place first. Tools are some personal choice and many don't
need them. The more technical it gets the lesser translators you will find.

Stefan