From: Coralie Mercier [mailto:coralie@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:35 PM
To: w3c-translators@w3.org; Mihai Tentis
Subject: Special characters in Romanian - Re: Intention of Translation

Dear Mihai

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:51:51 +0200, Mihai Tentis <Mihai.Tentis@iquestgroup.com> wrote:

> Dear Translators, dear Coralie Mercer
>
> I am working on the translation and I have a question.
>
> I've noticed that none of the translations into Romanian published on
> the W3C website include special characters specific to the Romanian
> language.
> Characters such as ă, ş or ţ do not appear in those texts.
>
> Should I follow this model and not include special characters?

Please, no. Do include the special characters in your work.

If the Romanian language features special characters, it is likely that the translations which have been submitted to us were not following the right model. Let's see what Richard finds out.

I wonder if the translations in Romanian that we have in the Database are understandable to native Romanian. If they are not understandable without special characters, we may have to either take them down, or comment them out till they are updated by their original translators.
  cf. http://www.w3.org/2005/11/Translations/Lists/ListLang-ro.html

Thanks for your question and if you can give us any feedback on the understandability of available translation, I would appreciate it.

Coralie

> Thank you and have a nice day,
>
> Mihai Tentis
[...]