Translation of /International pages [was RE: Priority for translations to French ?]

Ah, interesting choice.  That page is only a day or two old, and likely to
change again next week, so I'd recommend choosing another article for now.

> I do not see any path to a "French" (or any other language) section of
> I18n.

Yes, because the W3C works in English (ie. the canonical version of any
article or spec is the English one), and there is no language-specific
section - only translations provided ad-hoc for certain pages by volunteers.
We implement content language negotiation on the /International subsite, so
I suspect that either [1] your browser settings include en rather than or
higher than fr or [2] you clicked on the 'English' link at the top right of
a page, which will set a cookie to ensure that you only receive English
versions.  (This stickyness was only just implemented a day or two ago, and
I haven't yet added explanations, but I will.  It was implemented for people
who requested it because they preferred to read the authoritative English
text rather than the translations in their own language.)  If neither of
those explanations apply, please tell me, and I'll check it out.

You can set yourself up to see any French translations that are available by
simply clicking on 'Français' at the top right corner of a page that has it,
or going here
http://www.w3.org/International/articlelist.fr.php?changelang=fr (the query
at the end of the link does the magic).

I overhauled the home page just this morning, but I'm thinking of adding a
set of links like those on the articlelist page, to allow you to set your
cookie from the outset.  Note, however, that we are unlikely to translate
most of the higher level pages anytime soon, since they change too often,
and we don't have dedicated translation support.

> Anyway, I think the Internationalization activity could benefit from
> having a Wikipedia-like "language navigation column" where each and
> every page links to all the other language variations.

Actually those are the links in the top right of the page that I was talking
about.  We do have links on every page to every available translation of
that page.  It's just that for most pages we have few translations
(including French).

Hope that makes things clearer.

RI

Richard Ishida