Re: translation Circus

Dear Gareth,

Although I am not the person at W3C who manages the translations any
more (but I did it for many years), Helen will forgive me, I hope, if I
answer this mail.

I do not want to come back on some of the factual mistakes you made in
your mail on various languages; others have done that already. Let me
reflect on the more general issue instead.

Basically: who should be responsible of choosing which language is
important or not? Who should be responsible for _checking_ the quality
of translations? W3C has, essentially, two choices: either to set up
some very strict rules, thereby reducing dramatically the number of
translations, or to let all of them come and try to filter out the
obvious 'spams' only (there has been some but really not a lot!).

I say 'dramatically reduce the number of translations' because, let us
face it, that would be the result. 'W3C' is not a faceless organization
with infinite possibilities and resources. It is a small team of about
50 people plus, let us say, another 50-80 people with real interest in
internationalization who could, conceivably, use some of their time to
do such checks. But... have you ever checked a translation? I tell you,
as somebody who did it in his youth, it is _very_ tough work. Ie, out of
those 50 + 50-80 people only a few would really accept to do this type
of work... Hence the dramatic reduction.

So, the choice is between two evils. Either reduce the number of
translations or let them come in without any formal linguistic check,
accepting the danger of letting in some whose quality might be less then
desirable. If this is the choice, I am definitely in favour of the
latter. And I am definitely not in position nor, I believe, is anybody
around, to decide _which_ language is acceptable and which is not.

The comparison may be a bit far-fetched, but is is a _little_ bit like
Wikipedia. Yes, Wikipedia does contain lots of errors, mistakes,
misrepresentations. Awful stuff. But the community effect works and I
think we can agree that Wikipedia is immensely useful despite these
issues. I would be pleased to see _this_ mailing list acting as a
friendly and collegial forum where translations errors could be raised
and advise could be given to translators. My experience of the past 4-5
years is that it _does_ work that way although, I admit, more active
cross-checking might be useful sometimes.

Finally, another point. W3C knows that, _in some cases_, the quality of
the translation does matter a lot. This is the example when, for
example, a document is aimed at national legislation. For those purposes
W3C does have a so called 'Authorized W3C Translation' process[1]. As
you can see in [1], that policy tries to define a more formal process
where linguistic checks, like the one you refer to, are done. The
relative complexity of [1] shows that _it is not easy_ to define such a
policy. And, although the policy has been around for quite some time
now, the fact that only one translation falls under that category at the
moment[2] shows that it is also not easy to do that in practice either.
One more sign for my 'dramatic reduction' characterization...

Sincerely

Ivan Herman

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/02/TranslationPolicy.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/11/Translations/Lists/ListAuth.html