Re: WAI quicktips

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:47:40 +0200, Красников Дмитрий
<dk-resume@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hello Coralie, Hi Alexander.
>
> Alexander, thanks for URL correction.
>
> Yesterday I've finished "Quick Tips to Make Accessible Web Sites", since
> it not mentioned in database.
>
> it's located at http://eurovacancy.ru/w3c_wai/QuickTips.htm
>

> What version we should leave as a translation?

I'm going to think about this.
For the time being, only yours is online.
Alexander's is pending some file transfers.

> can we avoid such situation in future?

Of course it can be avoided. And of course, it's not avoided all the time.

The translations homepage instructs volunteer translators to find out
whether a translation of the document they've chosen exists and to use the
search interface for that. But also to check in the archive of the
w3c-translators@w3.org mailing list.

A caveat of the former is that in case the resource is no longer
available, a script removes the entry from the database and sets it aside.
This is what Ivan Herman called the dead ducks. [Alexander's translations
are in the dead ducks file and are waiting to be resuscitated ;)] So when
we search the database, the said entry will not be displayed.

The latter is really recommended, should a translator really care about
avoiding duplicate translations.
I do search the mailing list archive when I have the time or when I have a
suspicion, as I know it will likely yield valuable information.

Coralie Mercier      W3C Communications Team      mailto:coralie@w3.org
ERCIM/W3C - N112 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06560 Sophia Antipolis - FR
T:+33(0)492387590 F:+33(0)492387822  http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/