Re: Links

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:37:31 +0200, Deep76 <dp76pocet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Coralie.
> I'm working now on Ukrainian translation of
> http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/
> and suddenly take a look to links at this page to sub pages.
> Some days ago they pointed to maps.html, center.html, etc.
> Today links point just to maps, center, (without ".html")
> Have these links finally changed? Where do I need to point links from my
> translations?

Dear Yevgeny, dear translators

The .html extensions have indeed been removed to better ensure Content
Negotiation.

If you're interested to know more about extensionless pages, you can have
a look at
   http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI#remove for example.

To reply to your questions, the links have not changed. For example /maps
is still /maps.html and so on.
When you copy a page in order to translate it, you may save it as .html if
that is more convenient for you, or not. What matters is that you save
your translation as .html (or not).

I'm sorry as I'm explaining this badly... The server will add the proper
extension(s) automatically. This allows, for example, to replace
extensions as wanted, without having to maintain a list of links and/or
change links.

For example, imagine you have data in the formats of .html, .txt and .rdf,
if you use an extensionless link, you will be able to serve either html,
txt or rdf, based on what the client expects.

I hope this helps.

Coralie Mercier  Communications | Administration  mailto:coralie@w3.org
ERCIM/W3C - N112 - 2004 route des lucioles - 06560 Sophia Antipolis - FR
T:+33(0)492387590 F:+33(0)492387822  http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/