Re: renewal of the W3C Translation pages (lang query)

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the idea of using
http://www.w3.org/2003/03/Translations/byLanguage?language=zh
and similar to get at various sets of translations.
I think it is the right direction to go.

Some more details below.

At 18:37 03/05/09 +0200, Chris Lilley wrote:

>For example to get translations for just SVG, its
>http://www.w3.org/2003/03/Translations/byTechnology?technology=SVG
>
>to get translations just in Finnish, its
>http://www.w3.org/2003/03/Translations/byLanguage?language=fi
>
>So, looking at the language= part, I was just suggesting that it
>should work in the way that language tags are defined to work, which
>does not seem especially unusual or interesting, just the defined and
>correct way.

Please note that language tags as such are not defined to work
that way, but RFC 3066 defines a construct called "Language-range"
that works like this (and pretty much looks like a language tag).
(see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt, 2.5 Language-range).
And then to be formally correct, we would have to make sure that
http://www.w3.org/2003/03/Translations/byLanguage?language=*
works, which should not be too difficult, just redirect that
one to http://www.w3.org/2003/03/Translations/OverviewLang.html.

I think for the query part of the URI, that sounds good.
The question is what to list on the right of
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation?
Do we list all variants, or make some shortcuts? And how do
we organize the pages that we get back if they have more
than one (sub-)language.

Anyway, I think we got some very good ideas, but it will take
some time for them to be implemented, so please be patient.

Regards,    Martin.