Re: What do u mean by transalation ?

Hello Surya,

my way to translate a document is the following:
I translate a sentence nearly word by word, if it makes sense in my
language, sometimes it doesn´t make sense.
Then I read the sentence (or the paragraph), and if I know the
meaning of it, I reformulate the sentence in a way, that somebody
with the same mother tongue would think, it was written (in my case)
in German.
A very good translation is sometimes not a word by word translation.
In my opinion, the reader should get the sense of the original, in a
word by word translation, that is not always given.

An example:
You can wait till the cows come home.
Means in english:
You can wait a very long time (and nothing will happen).

If I translate the sentence word by word, nearly nobody would get the
sence, so I translate it into:
You can wait until you become black.

That is a phrase, nearly anyone, who is a native speaker of my
language, would understand.

Hope, it helps.

Stefan
(translator into German)

--
Stefan Schumacher
Oesterberg 20                                   0172/2718968