Please avoid frames,... (was: Re: Translation of XHTML 1.0 into Korean finishied

Dear Taeho,

Many thanks for your translation of XHTML 1.0 at
http://trio.co.kr/autoxhtml.html.
Sorry for the delay in answering you.

I have had a look at your translation. While I only
speak about 3 words of Korean, and can read the Hangul
script about as well as I can read Greek letters, I
have several comments and requests regarding the
presentation of your tranlation.

First of all, please try to avoid using frames. Frames
may look great at first, but they have all kinds of
problems. In particular:

- It is impossible to have a web address (URI) for
  any of the parts.
- There are accessability problems and problems on
  text-only devices.
- It is difficult to make them work right. As a particular
  example, if I click on the 'latest version' link in
  your translation, the right frame and the top frame
  stay in my browser window, and the Location: line
  doesn't change. This leads to confusion.
- Titles may not be handled appropriately.
- There can be some scrolling problems (it looks like
  you used a fixed or min width, which adds a scrollbar at the
  bottom of the frame and makes things difficult to read
  when the browser window is not very wide).

As you may have observed, the W3C web site does not use
any frames, and while frames are part of HTML 4.0, it
is not too difficult to do without them.

Next, please do not mix the tranlation itself and additional
comments/pointers, but distinguish them clearly. The best
thing is to leave the style of the original document as is
(including the W3C logo from the W3C site, not a copied one,
and the Recommendation/Proposed Recommendation/... icon).
The necessary disclaimers about the translation as well
as any additional pointers should be provided in a clearly
separated part. The easiest thing to do is to separate both
with a HR; adding some style to make the distinction clearer
is great. As an example, please see
http://www2.airnet.ne.jp/sardine/docs/WD-xmlbase-19991220.html.
There are many similar examples, too many to list them all.

Please also do not introduce new colors in your translation.
One example is section 4.3, where the original has no orange
text. Another case are the very frequent yellow/brown additions
near links. If Korean should require these words as part of
the translation, there is no need to have them in a special
color. If they are something else, then they probably shouldn't
be there. If you think you have a good reason for using a
special color for them, please tell me. Yet another case
is the use of overline and underline for highlighted links.
This is also different from the original, and it seems that
a script instead of a stylesheet was used, because it is
much slower than in the original.

If you have any question or comment regarding the points
above, please contact me.

Please also note that a new version of XHTML 1.0 has just
appeared recently [http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-xhtml1-19991210].
While there is no requirement to keep translations up to date
with the latest publications on the W3C Web site, in this case
an update should be rather easy because as far as I have heard,
there were not too many changes.

Please contact me again if you have any more questions.

With kind regards,   Martin.

At 20:52 1999/12/20 +0900, Taeho Lee wrote:
> I have finished the translation of XHTML 1.0 into Korean.
>
> It is available at http://trio.co.kr/autoxhtml.html for public.
>
> Would you kindly link to the corresponding translation page ?
>
> Taeho Lee of  http://trio.co.kr

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org