RE: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html40-updates/translations.html

From: Patrick Andries <andries@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:21:30 -0500
To: "'Ian Jacobs'" <ij@w3.org>, Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Cc: "w3c-translators@w3.org" <w3c-translators@w3.org>, "'alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca'" <alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca>

      Ian Jacobs wrote :

> Francois Yergeau wrote:
>
> > Oh, this is disappointing!  I understand that it is W3C policy that the
> >  original English version is the only normative, but not even wanting to
> >  have translations on the site seems overly restrictive.  Is this policy
> >  cast in stone?

> I think almost nothing is cast in stone. However, if
> we accept one, where do we stop?

[Patrick Andries]  I suspect this is a rhetorical question.

     [Patrick Andries]  Which brings forth another question :
	will the W3C standards ever become ISO
	standards ? Could a country, let say Canada, make  XML,
	for instance, a national standard and present it to the ISO
	as a proposed international standard ? In this way, these
	standards would have an officially approved (quality) translation
	in all the countries that care to have one, as was the case for
	SGML.

P. Andries