Re: permission request

Ms. Fumi,

We don't -- by default -- grant rights to create derivitive works
(annotations or translations). However, we do if we are confident that it
will be done well; after all, we do want our work to be as accessible as
possible. I spoke with the editors of the English edition and I was actually
quite happy with the end result.

However, translating one of our specifications introduces a couple new
wrinkles. [1] If you can abide by those terms and Martin Duerst (cc'd, the
W3C staff contact for translation) approves as well, you have our permission.

___

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ.html#translate

5.6 Can I translate one of your specifications into
another language?

Yes, provided that you comply with the all of the following requirements:

   1.Inform the W3C of your plan to translate our content and inform
     us of when you've completed and published the translation. Such
     notice should be sent to w3c-translators@w3.org and -- if
     possible -- the W3C staff contact for the document.
   2.Prominently disclose in the target language the following 3 items:
        1.the original URL, the status of the document, and its original
          copyright notice.
        2.that the normative version of the specification is the English
          version found at the W3C site.
        3.that the translated document may contain errors from the
          translation.

     This disclosure should be made in a header and/or footer that
     wraps the translated W3C specification. No semantic changes
     should be made to any part of the W3C document including the
     STATUS, contributors, or appendices. If comments or
     annotations are absolutely necessary within the content of the
     specification, those annotations must be clearly represented as
     such. (example)
   3.Agree:
        1.to the redistribution terms of the W3C document copyright
          notice. Consequently, your translation may be republished
          by the W3C or other entities if it is done in compliance with
          the notice's terms.
        2.that the W3C may rescind your right to publish or distribute
          the derivative work if the W3C finds that it leads to
          confusion regarding the original document's status or
          integrity.

5.7 Can we be the "official" translation?

No, the only official version of a W3C document is the english language
version at the W3C site.

Joseph Reagle Jr.  W3C:     http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/
Policy Analyst     Personal:  http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/
                   mailto:reagle@w3.org