Fwd: Japanese translation of the XML specification

I am sending this e-mail again because this mail was not distributed to
w3c-translators@w3.org.

> From: MURATA Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:45:44 +0900
> To: w3c-translators@w3.org
> Cc: duerst@w3.org, murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp, connolly@w3.org,
>         PFC01157@niftyserve.or.jp, mimasa@sh.w3.mag.keio.ac.jp
 |Dear Sir,
 |
 |I am writing on behalf of a Japanese committee, namely INSTAC
 |MH/WG4/XML-SWG.  This committee is translating the XML
 |specification.  We hopes to publish it as a JIS technical report.
 |
 |INSTAC stands for "Information Technology Research and
 |Standardization Center".  The URL for INSTAC is:
 |	http://www2.jsa.or.jp/INSTAC/english/index.html
 |
 |JIS stands for "Japanese Industrial Standards" and is similar to
 |ANSI.  The URL of JIS is:
 | 	http://www.jsa.or.jp/indexe.html
 |
 |JIS and INSTAC are under the auspices of MITI.  MITI stands for
 |"Ministry of International Trade and Industry".  It is a part of
> [...]
 |
 |INSTAC MH/WG4 (an upper working group of the XML-SWG) has already
 |endorsed the translation.  MITI will have a meeting for reviewing
 |the translated specification on 3/30.  If approved, the translated
 |specification becomes a JIS technical report.
 |
 |There will be three differences between the XML PR and the JIS
 |technical report.  First, the introduction is renamed "General
 |issues".  The JIS TR will have a new introduction, which states that
 |
 |>    1.the original URL, the status of the document, and its original
 |>      copyright notice.
 |>    2.that the normative version of the specification is the English
 |>      version found at the W3C site.
 |>    3.that the translated document may contain errors from the
 |>      translation.
 |

 |Second, there will be an annex for the Japanese XML profile.  This
 |profile has only two pages.
 |
 |	- The only impact of the Japanese profile is:
 |	 "If an XML document written in Japanese uses encoding methods
 |	not mentioned in the Japanese profile, it does not
 |	conform to the Japanese profile."  In other words,
 |	the Japanese profile is merely a further guideline
 |	for XML documents in Japanese.
 |
 |	- The first subsection is an introduction.  This profile
 |	only applies to Japanese XML documents.  Furtheremore,
 |	even Japanese XML documents do not have to conform to
 |	this profile.
 |
 |	- The second subsection discourages the use of zenkaku-latin
 |	characters and hankaku-katakana characters.  Since they are
 |	compatibilty characters, this subsection merely restates what
 |	the XML	recommendation already says.
 |
 |	- The third subsection says that Japanese XML documents stored
 |	in files should be in "UTF-16", "ISO-10646-UCS-2", "UTF-8",
 |	"ISO-2022-JP", "EUC-JP", or "Shift_JIS".  This subsection also
 |	encourages code conversion programs for XML that rewrite
 |	encoding declarations.
 |
 |	- The forth subsection says that Japanese XML documents for
 |	HTTP should be in "UTF-16", "ISO-10646-UCS-2", "UTF-8",
 |	"ISO-2022-JP", or "EUC-JP".  It also says that the charset
 |	parameter of text/xml MUST be correct.
 |
 |	- The fifth subsection says that Japanese XML documents
 |	sent via MIME should be in text/xml; charset="ISO-2022-JP".
 |	Martn Duerst pointed out that UTF-8 should be added.
 |	In our next meeting, we are likely to introduce
 |	(1) text/xml + UTF-8 + base64, and (2) application/xml +
 |	UTF-16 + base64 as well.
 |

 |If you think that the Japanese profile should also become a W3C
 |technical note or something, please let me know.
 |
 |Third, there will be an explanatory note.  Why we publish this TR, how
 |we started the work, what was difficult, which remains unsolved, etc.
 |

 |I would appreciate it very much it, if the W3C team considers our
 |proposal and gives some advice.
 |
 |Looking forward to hearing from you.
 |
 |Sincerely,
 |
 |Murata Makoto
 |(Member of the W3C XML WG, Leader of the INSTAC MH/WG4/XML-SWG)

[Wed, 04 Mar 1998 13:13:01 +0900]

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp